Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Utah or Bust

3. SUMMER VACATIONS: As a child, we never spent our summer vacations at the beach or at Disneyland. No, we loaded up the minivan and drove to Utah for a couple weeks. The drive was long but we broke up it with a night in New Mexico with my mom’s sister, Cecile. We’d stay with Grandma and Grandpa Tadje in Alpine when that town was barely a dot on the map. We’d spend time with cousins on both sides and it wasn’t complete until Grandpa made his ice cream cake-chocolate cake with layers of Snelgrove’s peppermint chocolate spray. We’d also spend time with G&G Johnson in Elko, NV before they moved to Evanston. Most vivid was cartwheels on the neighbor’s grass who didn’t like us and breaking my arm on a failed landing after jumping out a swing. I got a new wardrobe from Fred Meyer (none of my shirts could fit over the massive cast) which I thought was awesome. There really are too many memories to list, but I LOVED coming to Utah. Summer nights hanging out outside were my favorite.

Grandpa T LOVED fig newtons

Lake Powell

Lagoon

G&G J-Evanston

Rafting the Snake River

Lagoon

Lagoon

Mountainview Circle-you can barely see the front end of the station wagon in the top right corner

G&G T at the cabin. we still have that cooler.

Lake Powell

I wore this sailor outfit all the time

I think we're downtown SLC but really can't remember

the awkward years

hanging at Ernie & Sylvia's. I especially love the Coca-Cola shirt.

it's possible that this was at the 49th street galleria

kennecott copper mine--don't ask what look i'm going for here--i don't know.

Sunday best with Grandpa T. he was so handsome.

Grandma, watch me jump!

i broke my arm in Elko and got a new Popples

please note the cast size versus my leg size

2 comments:

Jenny N said...

lol--you are cracking me up with that picture from the copper mine.

Bentley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.