Monday, March 17, 2008

you're about a 6

i didn't realize it's almost been two weeks since I last posted. Where has the time gone? I had a great little vacation in Arkansas (I'll post with pics later this week) with the fam but it's nice to be back. Work is going fine and we even had ski day on Friday at Deer Valley. I love skiing at Deer Valley. It was beautiful weather and the skier's buffet at Stein Eriksen Lodge is definitely worth the trip. However, I am sad to report that Deer Valley has claimed yet another one of my phones. This is the 2nd blackberry I've lost at Deer Valley in the last 4 months. UGH. Oh well. I ordered a new one today. My dad thinks I should buy the insurance ($5 a month) to safeguard against losing another but I'm determined to not lose this one. I never really lose anything. I'm very good about keeping track of things. And I live on the edge--I don't need phone insurance :)

We've had a bit of a scare with Grandpa J. He went in for emergency surgery for his stomach but he's had a hard time with the recovery. His stomach is okay but he's had a rough time breathing on his own. I don't think his heart and lungs could handle coming off the anesthesia. Les and I scooted up to Evanston Thursday afternoon and before we walked in, Les turns to me and says--we need to be rocks--Grandma needs strong kids right now. It was pretty upsetting and I didn't do very well. It was hard to see Grandpa in his state of unravel and it was also hard to see Grandma so upset. I'm not sure I've ever seen my grandma cry--she's usually one tough lady. I tried to keep it together but I wouldn't exactly say I was a rock. On the ride home, Les informed me, "you were about a 6". She gave herself a 9. I'd probably agree. He's doing better and we were able to spend some time with him yesterday. Hopefully Grandma will be able to take him home soon. The more he becomes aware of what is happening, the more he wants to go home. He's still pretty strong and he's tried to escape a few times. Yesterday, after I refused to help him out of his chair, he quietly mumbled for Matt. I think he was hoping he could count on Matt to bust 'em out. Dad flew into town as well and it was nice to have him out for the weekend. I think dads have this innate need to help their daughters with car stuff so it was nice of him to slip me a $20 to help pay for my oil change and tire rotation. Thanks Dad!

This week should be pretty uneventful but it is our annual investor meeting at work. All our investors fly in and we give them an update about how our portfolio companies are doing. We feed them a meal or two, hand out some sort of logo-ed item and give them a pass to Deer Valley to go skiing if they want. standard operating procedure. oh yeah, and I do have tickets to the Jazz game tonight. Oh great-gotta find a date. awesome.

No comments: