Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's great to be an MHS Panther!

Oh what a weekend in Dallas. First off all, I decided to sport my Midway Panthers sweatshirt (my high-school alma mater) and that is how I greeted Jenny when she picked me up at the airport. She loved it. We scooted to Kim's house (she's another MHS girl) and dropped off our stuff and went...shopping. (What else do you do on a Saturday afternoon?) I picked up a really cute dress that I'm excited to wear in the spring and a fancy shirt for formal occassions. I don't really need one, but I like to be prepared. You never know when you will get the call-up for a black-tie affair :) Also, we ran into none other than Greg Moss, the MHS class of '97 president. Needless to say, he thought my sweatshirt was cool. We ran home and changed and then met Jerod and Elaine for dinner. The first ten minutes was great but then, a mariachi band started playing and made it all but impossible to communicate without shouting or using hand gestures. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. We decided we weren't full so we went to get ice cream and chatted about old times and laughed hysterically about an old man next to us who was passing unhuman and appaling gas. Why is farting so funny? It really is quite gross but we couldn't help but laugh. Sunday afternoon, Jenny and I both had lunch dates. I met another MHS panther who I hadn't seen in years for some good ol' Texas BBQ. His name is Kirk and he loves to restore old trucks so we cruised in a '76 Scout that he had built up. I literally had to heave myself up into the seat as the bottom of the truck came to my waist. It was a really cool truck though. It was fun to catch up on old times and I'm glad he's doing really well. Jen and I went back to the house and worked on a poster for Jerod's concert. We joked with Elaine that we would make one and we totally did. It had glitter. It was awesome. Jen's friend CJ came over and we then proceeded over to the theater. It was this really cute old theater with a marquee in front that had his name on it. We found Elaine and then waited for the doors to open and I quickly made my way down to the front row. I hadn't come all the way from SLC to sit in the back! Another couple MHS friends came and sat with us. The concert was so good. Jerod is amazingly talented and he put on a great show. (http://www.jerodstarkey.com/) He played a number of songs from his album as well as some songs he felt influenced him growing up. My faves were probably Foreigner's Cold as Ice as well as MJ's The Way you Make Me Feel. My faves from his album are Run, Driven, and It is Well. It was so cool to see him up there doing what he loves.

















CJ, Jen and I decided to grab dinner on the way home and just as we sat down, the texts started to roll in about the passing of President Gordon B Hinckley. (LDS church president). I got a little teary-eyed as I thought about what an amazing influence and blessing his life has been to me. I truly feel as if I grew up with President Hinckley and am in awe at the inspired and selfless life that he lived. He left an indelible footprint on the millions and millions of people he reached. And I'm sure it was a very sweet reunion with his beloved wife, Marjorie. We will miss you, President Hinckley. Thank you for all that you did. (link to Glen Beck Tribute)
Monday morning came too fast and I was headed back to SLC. Again, in my MHS sweatshirt, I ran into another gal from high-school and she and her husband actually ended up on my flight. I loved that my weekend turned into a little bit of a high-school reunion. good times. We took off and all was fine until we tried to land. No go. Attempt # 2: no go. Attempt # 3: no go. I kind of felt like Top Gun buzzing the tower. We'd get really low and close to the ground and then all of a sudden, we'd feel the plane just go straight up and gain a lot of speed. I really don't get nervous on planes, but it was kind of unsettling. They diverted us to Grand Junction, CO. We sat there for a few hours enjoying the delicious cheese and crackers and biscoff cookies generously provided by Delta. The stories kept on changing of we're staying, we're going and back and forth. yadda yadda. But, eventually we did take off and safely landed at SLC just a mere 5 hours late. I had tickets to the Jazz game and my friend Brent met me there. It was a really fun game and good win for the Jazz. Sorry Spurs! There was this really cute old man next to me who liked to hit my arm or give me a high-five when the Jazz made a good play. Once he even thought it was appropriate to slap my bum. Whatever. But all in all, it was a fabulous weekend. And yes, Jerod is wearing a Cobra Commander shirt. And yes, I'm wearing the same shirt two nights in a row.

No comments: