Thursday, January 22, 2009

a letter to obama

Dear Mr. President,

Welcome to the Party! I can’t wait to see what will unfold over the next four years and I’m sure you can’t either. I’ve been a little more hesitant than the rest of the nation to jump on your media-frenzied hollywood bandwagon but now that you are officially MY president, I want to believe in you. I don’t care what race you are. I don’t care about your basketball court, your puppy, the carpet in the oval office or that your wife, Michelle, looked great in her Jason Wu gown. In truth, I don’t think you needed a $170M dollar party on Tuesday but I don’t really need a $350 handbag so touché. I care that you can help make this country greater than it is. Your resume is not that comforting but I want to see you succeed. I want to live in a world not at war, in an economy that thrives, in a world free from terror, and in a nation free from the BCS! You literally have the weight of the world on your shoulders and I don’t envy you but I will support you. I’m as American as they come: a Texas girl who loves Jesus, football, and days on the lake and who grew up wanting to be Miss America. I go to church, I pay my taxes, I take vacations, I serve in the community, I watch American Idol and I love McDonald’s french fries. I went to college, I have a steady job and health insurance and I voted in the Presidential election. I guess by most standards, I am truly living the American Dream. But I worry—I’m unsure about the future. Who knows what this world will be like when Sasha and Malia are in high school, in college or when they are mothers of their own? But I read your letter that you wrote to your girls and I have the same hope as you do: [that we all will] “work to make America better. not just because you have an obligation to give something back to this country that has given your family so much -- although you do have that obligation. But because you have an obligation to yourself. Because it is only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you will realize your true potential." You have a lot of work to do and I do hope that you are humbled by the mantle that has been placed upon you. I do hope you understand the sacred responsibility and obligation you have to be the voice of this people—the American people. I pray for you and your family. The eyes of this nation are upon you and most are waiting for a miracle. All I want is a reason to believe in you.

Sincerely,
Nancy

3 comments:

Molly Hickcox said...

Thanks for always inspiring me Nance. You should have gone into public relations...I marvel at your ability to make your thoughts beautiful on paper.

Natalie said...

Amen, sister!

jayna said...

Nancy!! I love this!! So well said. I think now you can find me... like you said, it's only fair. ;) love reading your blog.