Friday, June 6, 2008

You betta BELIZE it! (Belize day 1)

Belize was awesome! Molly, Jocelyn, Ashley and I had been planning this trip since January/February and it seemed like forever away until May. THREE days before we left, I got a surprise phone call letting me know that Kim had decided to join our little party and I couldn't have been more thrilled. The trip just wouldn't have been the same without our little Lupe! The day before we left was CRAZY. After work, I had Melinda's birthday dinner (Happy 30th Mel!) and then was facing a very long night of laundry and cleaning and moving out of the house I had been housesitting for the previous three weeks. Earlier in the day I had met Kim--who volunteered to be my elf--to deliver beach towels I had gotten for each of the girls. I bought striped towels and had their names embroidered as well as Belize 08 in the opposite corner. And by the grace of God (I had a very spiritual moment in Target when I found towel #5) was able to get a last minute one done for Kim that was EXACTLY like the rest of ours (not from Target). I digress...I pulled into my house about 10:30 PM to find out the power was out and had been out for over 3 hours. Okay, I can do this. I can unload my car and repack for a week in the dark. no problem. Emergency preparedness tip #1: own a flashlight. To the rescue was my neighbor across the street who lent me his crank flashlight. Festivus miracle #2--the power came on tweny minutes after I got home. crisis averted. Molly and Joc came and picked me and Kim up about 12:30 AM and we headed back to their house. Over the course of the next three hours, we finished packing, caught about 1/2 hour sleep and were on our way. Thanks to Joc's dad for picking us up at 4 AM to take us to the airport. Belize here we come. We had a stop in Dallas where we enjoyed large diet beverages and the massage chair and then we were off. We landed in Belize about 3 PM and then jumped on a hopper flight to the beautiful island of San Pedro. Ashley got to be our co-pilot and the rest of us sat two by two in our shoebox-with-wings plane. 3 ft wide, 4 ft tall, 9 ft long. I think Les's subaru is bigger than this plane. And don't worry, the door handle was secured with napkins. We landed at the San Pedro airport which was a little more than a gravel pit. The resort sent Raymond to pick us up and soon we were at the Banyan Bay. We quickly dumped our stuff and headed to Rico's for dinner. We had a lovely seafood dinner by the ocean with Jarvis--our server. Later that evening our friends from across the hall (from Colorado) invited us to head to town to go to the "chicken drop". You put a scared chicken on a numbered grid and watch it run around until it leaves a surprise in one of the numbered squares. Whoever picked the right number square wins. That was entertaining for about ten minutes. We walked through town and found an ice cream shop with heavenly coconut ice cream. We knew this was gonna be a great vacation.













1 comment:

Jenny N said...

where are the Belize day 2, 3, etc posts?