Monday, April 28, 2008

Start Spreadin the News! (NYC day 1 and 2)

NYC was awesome. We had such a great time. My three sisters (Emily, Amy, Lesley) and I took our mom (Marilyn) to NYC for her 60th birthday this past weekend. Mom and Amy had never been so it was so much fun to take them around the city. On the flight out, Les and I were actually on the Susan G Komen Delta plane so it was pink and that was kind of cool. We met Mom and Amy at the airport and then took a car service to the apartment. It was fun to come down the elevator and see a man in a suit holding a square card with my name on it :) It was close to midnight so the drive was really quick and we got to our building in no time. The door man was a total goofball and almost wouldn't let us up. We had two top floor corner apts of a new building in midtown on the west side (52nd street and 10th ave) and they were perfect--so nice. Our view was spectacular (this pic was taken from our window-the Empire State Building is in the middle) A good portion of two of the walls were floor to ceiling windows. Thanks to Emily (she got there before the rest of us did), the fridges were stocked with plenty of diet coke and diet dr. pepper for the weekend as well as breakfast stuff. It wouldn't be a Johnson girls adventure without diet beverages! We said our good nights and settled into our new digs. We got up Friday morning and jumped on the subway to go downtown. We took the Staten Island Ferry back and forth to see the Statue of Liberty. We then wandered around the financial district: saw the famous bull statue, the Federal Building (where Washington was sworn is as President), the NY stock exchange, and of course Wall Street. From an overhead walking bridge, we saw the large hole at Ground Zero left by the two towers and the rebuilding going on there. We grabbed lunch and then headed toward midtown to see Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock (similar to going to the top of the Empire State Building) We headed home to take a break and broke out Mom's birthday cake (hand-delivered from the Granite Bakery in Salt Lake City. They thought I was crazy to take a cake on a plane) We then walked down the street to Vice Versa for dinner (which was fantastic) and walked just one more short block to the theater to see Wicked. This is my third time seeing Wicked and I just can't get enough. It is such a great show. Amazing music, great storyline, clever and funny. I'm sure I'll go again when it's here in SLC next year. We walked home and the doorman looked at us like he'd never seen us. After another exchange, he finally let us up. We took in the amazing view for a few minutes and called it a night. All in all it was a great first day in the city. I'm not in many of the pics I took. When I get pics from other cameras, I'll post more. To see all my pics go here



2 comments:

Jenny N said...

The Johnson girls take on NYC...Lesley looks so cute pregnant!

Heather said...

I'm green with envy, Ms. Johnson! I hope you hit Canal Street and got some cute bags. I'm jealous you got to see Little Mermaid too. I heard it supposed to be great.